My biggest question before any and EVERY trip is WHAT DO I PACK!!???
Here are my little tips and trick to the perfect backpacking pack.
Ok.. So I do have a fairly large backpack... OK, its Quite large… at I believe 85 Liters! The thing is larger than me at some points! But I do have a reason for this! I LOOOVVEEE shopping on my vacations, especially in Asia where everything is super duper cheap ! I have also found such beautiful things in Europe and they also have really cute things for cheap at markets in the middle of no where. I never know what I am going to find, or fall in love with, so I always come prepared anyways.
On route to my Vacation
- I pack literally any clothes (weather approving for where I am going- of course!) that I no longer want! I wear these clothes and then instead of washing them I will pass them along to a local who will love them just as much as I did in the beginning. I found the ladies in Thailand that clean your room just love getting handy-me-downs (because uh who doesn’t!?)
- I also make sure that I go to the dollar store or anywhere that sells small little empty bottles and I fill them with my face wash, my shampoo, conditioner, etc. so that I can use them up and throw them out and they won’t take up room in my pack. Now, you CAN buy shampoo and conditioner and lotion, and everything all over the world. I have blonde hair and use purple shampoo, I am also picky on what I use so this is why I BRING mine instead of buying it there. That being said, things like lotion and sunscreen in Asia I am very weary about buying because I don’t read the local language and I have to be careful not to buy anything with whitener in it… that’s right, we try to tan while they try to get white.
Here is my Holy Grail backpacking list:
Day pack (smaller backpack that I use on day trips, or to go to the beach, also my carry on for the airplane) :
- Airplane pillow (I will ONLY use the ones that you can blow up and deflate as they are way easier to carry around)
- Sarong- I use this on the ghetto flights that may not give you a blanket
- Headphone, I pod, Phone (some people will bring), camera, all charges, converter (some places, such as Thailand have the same plugs as us so just double check)
- Travel journal/ pen, book (again, one that I don’t care about that I can read and leave behind or possibly trade another traveler for their book)
- All documents (passport, travel insurance, Student ID (some places give discounts to students! Who knew), credit card, debit card, cash, birth certificate, all itineraries, extra passport photos as you might need for visa’s)
- Some warmer clothes for those cold airplanes (1 sweater, 1 pair of long leggings)
- Deodorant (cause I sweat on the plane… HA!)
- small purse (I use one that goes across my body and then I also use a carabiner clip to attach my inner wallet to my purse so I can tell if someone if trying to pick pocket me)
- Walking shoes (I usually find an old pair I don’t care about anymore, wear them and then ditch them before coming home)
- Flip Flops (or you can buy a new pair there !)
- Rain jacket (again I just bring a cheap one that I can leave if I find I am not using it)
- Also a rain cover for your backpack is a life saver when you have to walk to your hostel in the pouring down rain!
- tooth brush, tooth paste (can buy there)
- Hair ties, Bobby pins, brush
- shampoo, conditioner, lotion, sunscreen, aloe Vera, (again all smaller bottles) hair products ( I like to bring stuff like coconut oil that I can leave in my hair a day I am going to the beach so it doesn’t dry out)
- a hat/ bandanna
- lip chap
- face-wash/body soap
- Diva cup/tampons
- any medications/pills, aspirin, gravol, band-aids, tweezers
- 1 pair long leggings (in my day pack for the plane)
- 1 sweater ( In my day pack for the plane)
- 2 reg t-shirts
- 1 sarong (or you could buy one there as they are all very pretty and cheap !)
- 3 bathing suits
- 2 pair of shorts
- 1 dress
- 1 skirt
- 2 tank tops
- 1 bra (sport bra type for me)
- 5 pair underwear (bathing suits work as underwear as well)
By the end of my trip, or sometimes even half way through, I will have worn and used most of these things and will either throw them away or leave them for someone else to have. I will then go shopping and fill my then empty bag up to the brim (sometimes even buying a second bag… GUILTY)
its like Christmas coming home and seeing all that you bought ! I will be doing a blog strictly on all the things I have bought in different places one day, so stay tuned ! (So worth it! )